Windows XP updating

Moderator 17:12 19 Jul 03

i have windows 98se and recently formatted my computer the reinstalled 98se i wondered if XP is better or more reliable or something than 98se and if i upgraded would i lose all my files.

helmetshine 17:17 19 Jul 03

I've only really used XP but from what i've read on here and other places it is a far better os than 98se.As for your files i don't think you'd lose them but you're better off waiting for someone who knows more to tell you that,i find it highly unlikely tho as it would put everyone off upgrading.

VoG II 17:24 19 Jul 03

I find XP to be the most stable version of Windows.

If you buy an upgrade disk and put it in the drive its default will be to install "over the top" of 98 and you will NOT lose your documents, programs etc. That's the way I did it (from ME). However many of the regulars on here recommend a clean install - i.e. reformat first. Diring the XP installation you would need to insert your 98 CD to show your entitlement to the upgrade.

Before you do anything, check that your hardware and software are XP-compatible click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:24 19 Jul 03

If 98 is working OK there is no reason to change to XP. If you change there may be problems with hardware that can only be resolved with forking out for new kit. 98 is stable if it is treated correctly (there are many experiences on the forums of XP not being as stable as was thought). If you are going to choose XP the best way to load it is to reformat and load it on fresh.

G

timothywilliam 20:53 19 Jul 03

I have a motto If it ain't broken don't fix it.
If you are happy with what you have my advice is to stay with it. however, I had to purchase a new computer recently and opted for XP and I think it is much much better. I would go so far as to say it is more or less fool proof- and I need that.
I have nothing but praise for Bill Gates on this one.

Andybear 21:04 19 Jul 03

I started a new job this week and they use 98. Talking to some of the staff there, no-one seems to have experienced any problems with it. So if you're happy with it and it works, stick with it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5