Windows XP updates

MichaelPaul 15:09 11 Jan 04

I occasionally have a window pop up saying (in effect) 'here are [usually two] Windows XP updates, click here to get them'. I click there, the window disappears, and no download occurs. Why is this?
On the same subject, if this method of (supposedly) regular updating offers me but two updates, why, on the main website, am I offered twenty-six (at the last count}, and how do I choose amongst them?

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 15:11 11 Jan 04

Windows only offers critical updates were as the ones on the web site are recommeded,but you dont have to install those unless you wont too.

TommyRed 15:17 11 Jan 04

Critical updates are things like security issues where recommended updates may be a solution to something in 14 different languages, therefore you probably wont need them unless you've got a Latvian exchange student staying with you. I think. HTH TR

MichaelPaul 10:00 12 Jan 04

I now understand the difference between the offered downloads and the just-sitting-there ones, but still don't see why the offered ones disappear when I click on the window. But I've spotted an earlier item on the same subject which suggests i should disable my firewall to get these downloads: I'll try that.
Thansk to my responders.

Stuartli 13:55 12 Jan 04

Why not try BigFix? It will notify you of any updates, patches, fixes etc for all Windows programs and others as well and a direct means of downloading them.

It works just like WindowsUpdate but you can pick and choose what you want to check.

click here

Evesham says support calls dropped dramatically when it began supplying its systems with BigFix already loaded two or three years back.

MichaelPaul 16:18 12 Jan 04

Thanks - I'll try it, hoping it will mean I shall not have to disable my firewall each time BigFix offers me an update. I'll keep this thread open for a while to let you know how I get on.

MichaelPaul 16:51 12 Jan 04

I've successfully downloaded and installed BigFix; it's offered me three Fixlets, which I have somewhat high-handedly declined - so my firewall is clearly not blocking it; so all seems to be well.Thank you all for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…