Windows XP update woes

neforum 11:21 15 May 08

Hi, my first message.

I've been having problems with Windows Update on XP. The notifier says i've got updates, so I clicked the shield and it tells me that Windows Download Installer 3.1 needs updating. I accepted this and it downloads, but then tells me it wasn't installed. I then navigated to the Microsoft Site and downloaded the Installer 3.1 manually, it installs and then the next time Windows Update prompts me, I have 96 updates to download. It downloads these, and when I shutdown it tells me it's installing 1 of 96, but then it powers off. Powering back on, I go round the loop again, and I can't seem to get the system to install the 96 updates, it powers off before they're completed.

How do I solve this?

Dave

Stuartli 11:23 15 May 08

A Restart rather than Shut Down might work.

neforum 11:26 15 May 08

Thanks, but it doesn't make any difference. The system doesn't install any of the updates (it never gets past '1 of 96'). I don't think it even does the first one, as next time reboot it says it's installing '1 of 96' again.

Dave

xania 11:27 15 May 08

Have you read these articles

click here

click here

hiwatt 11:38 15 May 08

You could try setting windows updates to notify me but let me choose when to intall.Then choose which downloads you wish to install maybe 10? at a time.Might work,might not.Just a suggestion.

hiwatt 11:38 15 May 08

You could try setting windows updates to notify me but let me choose when to intall.Then choose which downloads you wish to install maybe 10? at a time.Might work,might not.Just a suggestion.

neforum 11:41 15 May 08

I've tried RegCure, and that made no difference, but the corrupted CatRoot2 folder is something i'll try later. Thanks for the links xania.

Dave

prince midas 11:53 15 May 08

Having a similar problem and after I think I installed them the following day it says downloads waiting.

birdface 11:57 15 May 08

You could try this.click here reboot computer and try installing Manually.

neforum 12:45 15 May 08

That link doesn't work buteman.

Installing 96 updates manually doesn't seem a viable option to me.

Dave

birdface 12:51 15 May 08

Maybe you do have problems.The link works fine with me.Have you updated and ran all your security programs.What firewall are you using.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5