Windows XP update KB908531 problem

Dumble452 12:53 15 Apr 06

After installing the recent crop of Windows updates I can no longer access the display settings by right clicking on the desktop, the computer just freezes. I have tried via Control Panel and this seems to work. By a process of elimination KB908531 appears to be the problem. A further problem is that the Canon Easy Web Print function now no longer works and I'm getting a script error message. I'm using Windows XP SP2 and Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 14. Is anyone else experiencing problems since updating?

Stuartli 13:28 15 Apr 06

Firstly, did you download the correct version?

Secondly, I had some problems downloading this particular update (not the first time I might add).

ACOLYTE 13:33 15 Apr 06

I just checked and this update is installed but windows does it for me,i have had no issues with it,either downloading or getting correct version's i thought windows only downloded things for your OS? so i cant see how u can get a wrong version,unless you did it manually.

Coff 13:45 15 Apr 06

KB908531 appears to be causing problems for quite a few people particularly those with HP hardware and software although its not restricted to HP hardware or software The update introduced a new file to your system32 folder called verclsid.exe.

There is a thread here about verclsid.exe click here

Newuser4624 14:02 15 Apr 06

I am also having problems and Canon Easy Webprint no longer works, but I can get the display properties for my display.
I also have a major problem with KB911567 which updates Outlook Express. With the "fix" I get a message which says - The Address book failed to load . Outlook Express is incorrectly configured, please reinstall". As soon as I removed the fix it worked fine.
Sorry I am not solving your problem, but you are not alone. Reporting thsi to Microsoft seems impossible on their website.

Alan2 14:16 15 Apr 06

KB 912812 appears to be the prime suspect for Canon's Easy-Web Print click here

a solution is being sought!

It looks as though most of the batch is flawed.

Dumble452 19:39 15 Apr 06

Thanks, I will await developments.

arris 20:35 15 Apr 06

I just tried right-clicking my desktop and it takes ages to open now.

Dumble452 23:22 10 Jul 06

Will mark this as resolved. Problem seems to have gone

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now