Windows XP update

manrow 06:49 28 May 08

Soon after starting up my laptop this morning it tried to restart all on its own, ending up with it hung up with a black screen and only the white cursor showing. It would not respond to any key inputs.

After turning it off and restarting a message appeared from the toolbar telling me an automatic Windows update had necessitated a restart and might prevent my computer working properly! Charming! After googling I found this:-

click here

Since even manual updating is causing problems should not MS have spent longer in getting the update right first?

crosstrainer 07:02 28 May 08

I have just installed this updaye without problems. According to Microsoft it improves compatibility with games and some photo/ music and antispyware applications.

For more info:

click here

crosstrainer 07:04 28 May 08

The update I have installed is for Vista....Have not tried it on my XP rigs yet. Will post back when I have!

jolorna 07:33 28 May 08

what update is it as i haven't had any automatic updates today xp home sp3

manrow 07:46 28 May 08

jolorna

KB932823-v3

crosstrainer 08:18 28 May 08

No XP updates available for either XP rig, or my laptop.

You appear to have downloaded a japanese version of Inet framework 3! Don't know how unless your language settings are incorrect.
click here

Suggest safe mode, system restore to before you installed it, then check your language settings in control panel>regional settings.

Could also be a browser hijack..update and run you antispyware / antivirus softeare.

manrow 08:30 28 May 08

This comes from the Microsoft website:-

click here

crosstrainer 08:55 28 May 08

That comes up in search without the version 3 hyphen.

System restore in safe mode to a previous time prior to installation is still your best option.

manrow 09:10 28 May 08

crosstrainer

Thanks, I may well end up following your advice. But if you read the full article in my post above, you will find that the KB932823 was first issue in March (without the v3!) and caused trouble for users then so has now been modified and issued in 2 parts. The second instalment comes next month. The laptop I referred to originally is very old and I am not surprised it locked up.

My newer twin core laptop has upgraded automatically with no problem at all, but I think all XP users need to be aware of the possibility of this update causing problems especially if they are setup for automatic updates older computers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…