Windows XP - Unable To Enter Standby Mode

Fastflys 11:36 15 Mar 03

Instead of entering standby mode a window appears with the following message:

Heading: System Standby Failed
Text: The device driver for the 'Microsoft PS/2 keyboard (Intellitype Pro)' device is preventing the machine from entering standby. Please close all applications and try again. If problem persists, you may need to update this driver.

I have a Microsoft Internet Keyboard and have installed the latest device driver from the Microsoft website - no joy.

I have closed all "normal" applications and disabled Norton Internet Security - no joy.

To test Standby on it's own I have set screensaver to "None", turn off monitor to "Never" and unchecked the "Enable Hibernation" box - no joy.

I have downloaded from the Microsoft website the XP Home Edition service pack and all critical and routine updates as and when notified by Microsoft.

I have checked for conflicts of hardware and software to the best of my limited skill and ability and have found none.

I'm no computer expert - just a user who's grown up with DOS, 3.1, 95 etc. Is there anybody out there who can help me?

powerless 11:40 15 Mar 03
  powerless 11:41 15 Mar 03

oops not exactly the keyboard type.

« Ravin » 12:04 15 Mar 03

not sure but see if this is of any help click here

Fastflys 13:12 15 Mar 03

Thanks Powerless and Ravin for info.

No access to troublesome computer until Tuesday.

I have not installed Adobe Type Manager but maybe it is included in other software that I have. Will check it out.

Powerless/Ravin
How did you create a "Click Here" link and the number "814149" in bold?

powerless 13:17 15 Mar 03

When you reply to a message to put something in BOLD put whatever it is you want to say in the box next to "Title"

To make a "click Here" just copy the web address in to your message, the site converts it to a "click here"

www. pcdavisor .com

I've added spaces to prevent it from becoming a click here but. But you see how its done.

powerless 13:18 15 Mar 03

Spelling it correctly also helps. :-(

Fastflys 14:38 15 Mar 03

Thanks for the extra info.

I've already put it to good use!

Fastflys 13:03 16 Mar 03

Managed to access troublesome computer today [Sunday].

Adobe Type Manager 4 was installed. Rather than remove it I accessed the Adobe website and downloaded version 4.1 which is compatable with Windows XP.

This solved my standby problem.

Many thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…