Windows XP Turn Off?

Unclekev 11:34 09 Aug 04

When I go to turn off my Computer I have to go through the sequence of clicking on both "Turn Off Computer" on the Start Menu and clicking on "Turn Off" on the Turn Off Computer window twice before the PC will actually switch off. Any Ideas?

TommyRed 12:32 09 Aug 04

Can't help with the shut down problem but I use a program called Quick Shutdown click here which has an icon which resides in your system tray, one click and it shuts down. HTH TR

jonnytub 12:34 09 Aug 04

operating system?

jonnytub 12:45 09 Aug 04

hmm silly question seen as it's the title of your thread. To make sure it isn't anything simple, go to control panel and open up the power option icon. Go to the advanced tab and set the options for shutting your pc down to "when i press the power button on my computer" and from the drop down tab "shut down"

Stuartli 12:59 09 Aug 04

We've all done it at one time or another..:-)

Have you given the system time to close down everything before the need arises to click the button a second time?

Stuartli 13:05 09 Aug 04

I have XP Pro - it doesn't offer that particular configuration under Power Options.

Mind you I have no problems shutting down....:-)

jonnytub 13:07 09 Aug 04

strange stuartli i also have xp pro and i went through the sequence on my machine before posting????

jonnytub 13:09 09 Aug 04

maybe because mines an upgrade version and could also be a windows update - go figure :0)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:29 09 Aug 04

click here

Read the write up, scroll down the page to 52 download and install

Unclekev 10:07 10 Aug 04

Jonnytub,

Checked Control Panel and settings were as you suggested. Pressing Power Button has the same result i.e i have to do it twice. All applications are closed when this happens. When power button is pressed or computer is turned off using mouse click on start menu / turn off computer window for the Second time, the PC turns off almost immediately. Not a major problem, just curious to know why it's happening

Unclekev 10:07 10 Aug 04

Jonnytub,

Checked Control Panel and settings were as you suggested. Pressing Power Button has the same result i.e i have to do it twice. All applications are closed when this happens. When power button is pressed or computer is turned off using mouse click on start menu / turn off computer window for the Second time, the PC turns off almost immediately. Not a major problem, just curious to know why it's happening

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…