WINDOWS XP TOTAL CRASH!!!

OUSCA 23:16 27 Sep 04

MY FRIEND'S COMPUTER RECENTLY UPGRADED TO XP {4MTHS} LAST INSTALLATION WAS SCANNER ABOUT SAME TIME. SHE DOES DO A LOT OF MUSIC DOWNLOADS AND DOESN'T HAVE A CLUE ABOUT HER MEMORY CAPACITY..
ON BOOT UP SYSTEM IS SLOW BUT GIVES CHANCE TO SELECT ANY OF THE SAFE MODES AND CONFIGURATION OPTIONS..BUT THE ONLY INTERACTION POSSIBLE IS TO SELECT START UP MODE/S AND ALSO TO GO THRO MS DOS ENVIRONMENT {WHICH I USED TO TRY A SCANDISK REPAIR OF THE PROBLEM}..AFTER SCANDISK IN DOS: MESSAGE- DIRECTORY ENTRY: C:\CRASH.TXT HAD AN INCORRECT SIZE SCANDISK SUCCESSFULLY CORRECTED. BUT SYTEM DID NOT CONTINUE TO DESKTOP ETC..
REMEDIAL MSG ON EVERY STARTUP WAS:
DISABLE BIOS MEMORY OPTIONS:1.CACHING,2.SHADOWING
HOW DO I DO THIS OR BETTER STILL,WHAT IS THE PROBLEM AND REMEDY??? THE FRIEND HAS A DAUGHTER ABOUT TO DO A'LEVELS AND HAS ALL PAST YEAR'S WORK STORED ON THE PC {A DELL}..
MANY THX..
OUSCA!!! CROYDON.

Dan the Confused 01:05 28 Sep 04

Not really sure, but you could try disconnecting the scanner (or did you mean scanned?). You can get into CMOS BIOS Setup by pressing the key it says on the first screen you see when you boot up (DEL on mine). You can then disable caching and shadowing, hunt around for the options. I don't know what the underlying problem is though (full disc, maybe?).

Cook2 01:14 28 Sep 04

Er. For XP it's CHKDSK not SCANDISK.

OUSCA 22:14 28 Sep 04

THX GUY'S, I'LL GO THERE 'N TRY THESE POINTERS..
DEL, CHKDSK...

Dan the Confused 22:26 28 Sep 04

Maybe repairing Windows would be the best option. Boot from the XP disc to do this (bootup sequence can be modified in BIOS if you need to).

OUSCA 22:28 28 Sep 04

O.K..

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:29 28 Sep 04

In safe mode type

sfc/ scannow (note the space after / )

in the the Run box and press enter (may require XP CD in drive,) XP will scan and replace missing / corrupt system files when complete (it will take a while) reboot and see if this solves your problems.

Dan the Confused 22:29 28 Sep 04

More info click here

(Btw, when you said DOS environment did you mean the recovery console?)

OUSCA 22:37 28 Sep 04

the system did not allow entry to xp platform, I could only enter any command in dos mode{black screen} with c:\> command line...hence I do not know how to get into run dialug in dos... I've forgotten dos syntax commands...
at satrt up I selected option to start in dos..

OUSCA 07:16 06 Oct 04

oh pleaseeeee a ! help

brittas 11:23 06 Oct 04

ousca
put in your windows xp cd and re-boot your machine.It will ask if you want to boot from cd - press enter to do this. The Windows disc will search through your system and find an existing installation. You obviously cannot start windows properly so choose the "repair the existing windows" and follow the instructions to take you into the "recovery consol". You will have the c:> cursor. Type in the command Fruit Bat /\0/\ advised you and see how it goes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…