Windows XP Temp Files

Chris Webster 23:27 17 Mar 05

Hi,
some advice needed please, when i go to Start > Run and then type %TEMP% i get a temp file window with 50 objects (plus 1 hidden) in it, is it ok to delete the 50 objects, some of which are EXE files and dll's.

Thanks, Chris.
Windows XP Home Edition(sp2)

EdFrench 23:41 17 Mar 05

This is the default location for self extracting zipped or RAR files (among other temporary files). They are safe to delete as long as you are sure you no longer want to keep them for future quick installations. Deleting them will not effect your current program installations.

By the way - I haven't seen that method for a long long time - (8-3)

Dragon Heart 23:52 17 Mar 05

May be a better idea to try

Control Panel

Internet options

On the 'General' tab you will see "Temporary Internet Files" with

Delete Files then OK

This should safely remove most

EdFrench 00:17 18 Mar 05

Dragon Heart,
Cached internet file are not stored in the folder which results in the command: %temp%

Completealias 12:12 18 Mar 05

Easiest way is to run disk cleanup found by right clicking on c: drive properties and then the disk cleanup button.

Choose which areas you wish it to cleanup I go with all of then bar the bottom too and let it do its stuff all the files are safe to delete and won't do any harm

Chris Webster 22:19 18 Mar 05

Thank you all for the information.

Completealias,
Disc clean up doesn't remove these temp files.

Thanks, Chris.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…