Windows XP Taskbar Freeze

peterleemaxwell 19:09 08 Oct 04

Hi,
I'm hoping someone can help who may have had a similar problem. When loading up XP the task bar freezes but I can still use anything that has a shortcut on the desktop. There is nothing that will work from it such as 'Start'.I have a programme luckly on the desktop that shows a similar type of thing to 'MSCONFIG'. This I have used to stop nearly all the non M.S. software starting but it's still no-go. Any help please.
Cheers,
Lee

JonnyTub 19:11 08 Oct 04

may help click here

peterleemaxwell 19:36 08 Oct 04

Thanks Jonny Tub.
Looks good, as a NTL fault caused the first problem then the 'Expert' at NTL made it worse. There is just one problem with the task bar frozen, I cannot get the 'start' to work to get at the 'network connections' Thanks for the help.
Lee

JonnyTub 19:39 08 Oct 04

Try bringing up the device manager to see if there's anything there that shouldn't be. have you tried scanning for naughties ?

peterleemaxwell 19:58 08 Oct 04

Hi Jonny Tub,
There is nothing in the 'Device Manager' and I ran a virus check thinking it was a virus, plus I scanned with Adware 6 thinking it could have been something. I'm at at a loss. Is there anyway I can get at anything other than via the start? I can use progs by opening the H.D and placing shortcuts on the desktop. What I need is 'Control Panel' or 'internet connections'.
Thanks for your help.
Cheers,
Lee

JonnyTub 19:59 08 Oct 04

see what starting up in safe mode brings up

peterleemaxwell 20:26 08 Oct 04

Jonny Tub,
Afraid it crashed using all the 'safe mode' options.
Looks like I'm doomed to do a re-format. Tried earlier to do a XP re-load this it did with no effect. I'm now on the internet with this same machine using a 'No Install Linux' disc. Why windows cannot work or be repaired I don't know. This disc allows e-mail and web surf (Mozilla). Must use a different set-up procedure. Thanks for your help.
Lee

JonnyTub 20:27 08 Oct 04

have you tried a system restore to when the pc worked fine? or last know good configuration by pressing f8 when switching on?

JonnyTub 20:28 08 Oct 04

hmm, you can't access sys restore can you, bugger!!

JonnyTub 20:34 08 Oct 04

can you right click on the taskbar and does it give you options?

peterleemaxwell 20:37 08 Oct 04

Jonny Tub,
Yes I did try 'System Restore' amnd the 'Last Known good configuration' both failed. I think the P.C. is
just a box at the moment although I can use any prog, on the H.D. by the 'shortcut to desktop' method' half a PC! I think from what the 'Tec' at NTL said was that the IP address has stuck in the settings and this looks like it has corrupted the windows set-up files. Only a guess. A complete 'wipe' looks like the only option. I would have liked to fix without this as when working everything was set up just right. Thanks again for your time.
Best Wishes,
Lee

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…