Windows Xp system32 file is missing

lahorie 16:04 27 Oct 09

Hi

Problem with my HP laptop - it says the c@\windows\system32\config\system file is missing, i have tried everything from a restore of XP, repair but nothing, the xp cd hangs as though it cannot read the HD. i have downlaoded Western Digitals disk checker but this does not work sa well...it's s sata drive, can i attch this to another machine via usb and do a repair on the disk or is there anything i can do with this?

Thanks

Lahorie

VoG II 16:32 27 Oct 09

Try click here but read carefully first.

lahorie 16:59 27 Oct 09

Hi VoG

I have tried this but the computer hangs, i eneter the windows selection i want to repair but nothing happens, no prompt nothing, cannot run a chkdsk or anything.

Thanks

Lahorie

lahorie 17:00 27 Oct 09

Sorry i meant recovery console.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:12 27 Oct 09

As its a SATA drive the XP CD will have trouble reading it unless you load the SATA raid drivers from a floppy at the F6 prompt.

if you can attach the drive to another machine then you can run the drive tools on it, you could also copy the system file from the windows\repair folder on the drive and place in the windows \system32\config folder.

replace the drive in the old machine boot into windows and do a system restore to a point before ou had the problem.

lahorie 09:32 28 Oct 09

Thanks Fruit Bat

I will have a go at your suggestions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now