Windows XP sudden shutdown

Aquarrian 17:53 11 Apr 06

Windows XP SP2 has been running for some time with no problems. There have been no hardware changes or software installs for some time. Windows closes down with no error messages. On reboot it initially started up normally. The latest crash reported a change in hardware and attempted a reboot. The reboot stopped with a garbled screen and attempted a reboot. This repeated several times and I was left with a blank screen. All through this the computer keeps running, the monitor goes in to stand by mode. The only way to shut down is by the PC button. The only way to restart is through the PC's on button or restart button which then brings me back to the garbled screen again.
Terry

phono 18:07 11 Apr 06

Does your computer run okay in Safe Mode, to restart in Safe Mode keep tapping the F8 key as the PC boots up, choose Safe Mode from the resulting menu, report back if your computer now boots up and works okay so that we can take things further.

Aquarrian 18:08 12 Apr 06

Computer boots up in Safe Mode. There is a black screen with enlarged icons. Previously I have seen the screen wallpaper in Safe Mode. Computer appears to be working OK in Safe Mode, programs load and internet runs. Rebooting in normal mode and the intro Windows XP screen is shaking and follows procedure previously explained.
Terry

VoG II 18:11 12 Apr 06

Try a repair click here

phono 23:28 12 Apr 06

Try a repair, as suggested by VoG™.

Aquarrian 17:46 20 Apr 06

It turned out that the fan on my graphics card had collected dust. After cleaning, PC is working OK now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now