Windows XP stops at the Welcome screen

Andrew 14:25 12 Mar 03

Laptop, 9mths old, P4 512Mb running XP Home has just started to stop loading at the Welcome screen and only way out is to power off. Usually works fine on second attempt but today needed a third go - hence panic beginning to set in. Only recent change was to install most recent XP update (network/reinstallation fix). Loading stops just before music - could it be the music file isn't always being identified/accessed properly? Or, from umpteen similar probs elsewhere in Helproom, am I missing something obvious? Advice appreciated

xtreme_computing 14:37 12 Mar 03

click here

and scroll down to

Windows XP Stops Responding at the Welcome Screen

and click here

Andrew 21:12 12 Mar 03

Grateful for the advice. Hasn't recurred so haven't tried suggested solution but makes sense. I haven't encountered the F8 restart before. Do I hit F8 when Windows next stops loading or switch off and hit F8 while the machine is rebooting?
I guess I'll find out soon enough but the answer might help anyone else that gets stuck!
Cheers x_c

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…