Windows XP startup stuck in a loop

turban 15:55 PM 11 Feb 13

My Windows XP desktop, starts up and says a disk check is needed, which it carries out and finds nothing. It then reboots and does the same thing again! I cannot get past this. Help!

Chronos the 2nd 16:18 PM 11 Feb 13

Do a repair install:

Boot to the XP CD and choose the SECOND repair option, allowing XP to install on top of itself. After completion you'll need to go to Windows Update and download & install all updates (except for hardware & driver related updates, which should never be downloaded from Windows Update - only from the OEM websites). Here is a clear tutorial on how to perform a repair install. Here.

xox101 16:20 PM 11 Feb 13

Hard drive gone bad? If you have access to another PC download a live edition of Linux Mint and burn it to a CD or to a USB stick using something like Unetbootin.

Boot the faulty PC from the live Linux and check the hard drive using the disc tools.

Secret-Squirrel 16:58 PM 11 Feb 13

turban, just before the disk check starts, you would normally see a message saying "To skip disk checking, press any key within 7 seconds". Do you get this message, and if so, what happens if you try to cancel it?

turban 22:29 PM 11 Feb 13

Secret squirrel; yes I get the skip disk check message and if I press any key, the computer skips the check and reboots and goes through the loop again.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:22 PM 11 Feb 13

Tap F8 as it first starts select command prompt

or safemode

Start -Run type in "CMD" and then

type "fsutil dirty query d:" but without the quotes. This queries the drive, and more than likely it will tell you that it is dirty. Next, type "CHKNTFS /X D:". The X tells Windows to NOT check that particular drive on the next reboot. At this time, manually reboot your computer, it should not do a Chkdsk and take you directly to Windows.

then type "fsutil dirty query d:" but without the quotes. This queries the drive, and more than likely it will tell you that it is dirty. Next, type "CHKNTFS /X D:". The X tells Windows to NOT check that particular drive on the next reboot. At this time, manually reboot your computer, it should not do a Chkdsk and take you directly to Windows.

triustech12 23:38 PM 11 Feb 13

boot the xp cd and go second option for repair

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…