Windows XP Startup Problem

shaq01 15:32 06 Oct 03

This is driving me crazy!

I run a Dell Inspiron laptop with Windows XP. On starting up the laptop, the boot screen stays on for around 3-5 minutes before the XP screen comes on. I originally found that this was "cured" by going into setup, which was set to boot from the DVD drive. This worked for around 3-4 weeks but the problem has now returned.

Anyone got any ideas?

plankton 15:49 06 Oct 03

Is this where the monitor came from? click here

plankton 15:54 06 Oct 03

If you can find the model etc of the monitor, you might be able to find out if it needs drivers, or if the graphics card can support it....

Belatucadrus 16:21 06 Oct 03

Try BootVis click here and startup control panel may also be of use click here

shaq01 17:49 06 Oct 03

Sorry none of these options help. It is a laptop so the screen is built in.

plankton 19:27 06 Oct 03

Oooh! I seem to have posted my responses to someone else here by accident. I am most apologetic and embarassed.....and off to search for the person who I was supposed to help....doh!
Hope you fix your laptop

plankton 19:49 06 Oct 03

However, now I've seen what your problem is I could suggest that you do a defrag, it may help....(I found the other thread as well...lol) I was having a lot of web problems at work, and got completely lost when the screens were (or not) coming up....;o)

yamboy40 21:25 07 Oct 03

I have the same problem my XP professional takes about 2 mins to bootup.I have 2 partitions on my PC .One with Windows 98 and the other with Windows XP professional.I thought this might be the problem because I have 2 operating systems on 1x40 GB hard disk.The windows 98 partition boots up a lot faster.I thought XP booted much quicker.The ones in my work do.I have 256 ram and a celeron 700mhz processor.Do I need a faster processor?

Can anyone sort this out

plankton 10:02 08 Oct 03

Are you starting a lot of extra software on XP? Try cutting down and see if its quicker...

shaq01 19:00 08 Oct 03

I'm only running a minimal no of programmes (Office/IE/Outlook).

plankton 11:31 09 Oct 03

Do you run spyware/antivirus, coz its starting to sound like somethings nicking the resources...I am presuming you use it on the web...correct me if I'm wrong....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…