windows xp-startup page wont load--- -pc freeze up

Bevlee 14:16 21 Mar 03

This problem still prevails
Pc freezes up,even restart button does not work I have to shut power off.When trying to restart it may take hours before windows page loads ,It runs for a few days then freezes,cycle starts all over
Its not the battery or power supply have checked everything -no solution yet.
I think this might have started after upgrading from windows me to xp.Any help would be appreciated
Thanks Bev

szk2003 14:21 21 Mar 03

well i've been getting the same sorts of problem recently, my computer starts to freeze a lot more and when restarting it takes ages. i think its because the computer getting old, or some software just cost it. have u installed anything new recently?

powerless 14:32 21 Mar 03

Did you upgrade to XP over ME?

Or did you do a fresh install of XP?

You could try > go to start > Run > Type:

SFC /SCANNOW

Click "OK"

Give it a few minutes and restart. Have you XP disc alrady in the drive.

What temperature is the computer running it?

Go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer > Look at system and application logs. Look for ERROR and click it. Within that log there will be a link to the MS website where a description of the problem and and a possible fix maybe waiting.

It could be a program causing this problem...

Go to Start > Run > Type:

MSCONFIG

Click "ok" and then click on the "Startup" tab.
Take the ticks out of everything and restart. If it still freezes then its not a program. If it does not freeze put a tick back in one at a time and when it freezes you'll know the program.

When you updraded to XP were there any possible problems that the Upgrade Advisor spotted. Did you run this or did you just upgrade.

I suspect it might be the upgrade over ME cauing your problem.

Bevlee 14:50 21 Mar 03

Thanks for your help i will try all the suggestions
You guys are great
Bev

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…