Windows XP startup music lost

Ecky-Thump 15:50 14 May 05

I have lost my windows startup and closedown music etc., All other music is ok i.e. CD, MP3, sound sound card is working fine, have tried resetting to the default sounds to no avail ... any ideas, its not really causing any problems, just an annoyance not knowing why I suddenly lost it ...

bretsky 16:50 14 May 05

You might try this click here Line 6

bretsky ;0)

bretsky 21:28 14 May 05

Got this from an article in the helpline section of the April 2005 issue.

XP Start & exit music not working.

QUESTION:When I ran PC Accelerator from the January 05 cover CD, it stopped responding part-way through its routine.Eventually I gave up and uninstalled It. Now, the Start and Exit Windows sounds do not work, even though they are selected in the Sounds and Audio Devices Control Panel.

ANSWER:Since your other system sounds work, it’s unlikely there’s anything seriously wrong. However, it’s easy enough to get them working again by performing a system restore to a point before the software was installed, Open the Sounds and Audio Devices Control Panel, select the Sounds tab and choose Start Windows. Click the Browse button and select the default windowsxpstartup.wav, then click Play to ensure that the file isn’t damaged.

Repeat this for Exit Windows, playing the file windowsxpshutdown.wav, If the sound files are present but won’t play, try deleting and then replacing them by repairing your Windows XP installation.
The problem with PC Accelerator failing to run has been reported by a number of readers. It’s a fault in the application itself that the developer’s working to correct. See the answer to WMI error on page 167 for full details of how to get support from makers Eeezee.

bretsky ;0)

Ecky-Thump 13:50 15 May 05

Thanks for the pointer, I tried it but it did not fix my problem, perhaps someone else out there has experienced it, and found the answer, the page you pointed me to looks very useful, I have passed the link to my son, who has lost the Control panel facility on his XP system, and cannot find a solution. Thanks again for the interest shown ...

Ecky-Thump 13:57 15 May 05

I may have tried this I cannot remember now, however I think the problem has been there a lot longer so a restore is out of the question, I think it may be followin a Blue Screen, after a Webcam I have caused problems loading a driver, the Cam is ok when not plugged in on startup, detects and works ok then, so that may have been the original cause, thanks for your efforts so far ...

Ecky-Thump 21:25 05 Dec 05

I have found the answer which is explained on the MS support site ...
click here;en-us;q262256

Requires Editing the Registry but it has resolved MY problem thanks for all your Helpful suggestions.

Ecky Thump

VoG II 21:28 05 Dec 05

Working link click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…