Windows XP Startup Hangs

femural 11:42 01 Jun 04

When starting up my pc the XP start up screen appears and then the screen goes blank eventually the mouse cursor appears but nothing else (after about 20 mins) if I start in safe mode everything seems to work fine and if I look in device manager everything seems ok, does anyone know of a way I can create a log or something similar to enable me to find what is causing the system to hang?

cream. 11:48 01 Jun 04

Start the PC in safe mode and disable everything in the start up folder. Run - msconfig -startup and untick every thing.

Reboot.

If windows loads normally then one of those programmes is causing a problem.

handy4x 11:49 01 Jun 04

it sounds like a driver problem have you installed any thing new and what is the system prosesser etc

femural 12:12 01 Jun 04

I have disabled everthing in startup no joy I agree it seems like a driver problem I havent installed anything new or even updated any drivers recently so am a bit lost is there anyway of seeing at which point the system is getting hung up?

Processor is P4 2.4Ghz with 512M of ram running XP pro with all the latest MS Updates

Gareth2303 17:04 25 Jun 04

My pc (running win xp pro) was working fine till yesterday It starts and checks the bios and all but when it gets to the xp logo it hangs for about five minutes then goes on. I havent a clue what is making this happen, it is realy anoying. Any answers??

femural 19:31 25 Jun 04

Gareth have you tried starting in safe mode (press the F8 key when booting)then look in device manager (driver probs don't always show though!) my problem was a device driver problem it took an absolute age to get to the bottom of it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…