Windows XP Startup

SantasLittleHelper 20:31 18 Dec 04

Hi All, I have fitted a new hard drive, I have started up using the old hard disk as the master and the new one as slave. I have successfully formatted and partitioned the new drive, and used Norton Ghost to clone the C: drive from the old disk to the new one. If I then make the new disk the Master and disconnect the old disk it will only boot as far as the screen showing the Xp logo and the text "Starting Windows XP" it then hangs with no disk activity at all. I have tried using both plugs on the IDE 1 and IDE 2 leads but the same result on both. Has anyone any ideas where I am going wrong? Thanks

howard60 21:30 18 Dec 04

I have never had any success with cloning - I would put 2 partitions on your new drive and while it is the slave copy all your data over to the second partition. Then set it as master and install xp onto the first partition. 1 thought comes to mind - when you set the cloned new drive to master have you got it on the end of the ribbon cable which is the master position not the centre connector.

bazb 21:45 18 Dec 04

most hard drive makers now have there own installation programs, that will do a perfect job of cloning your original drive, and will take you through the full installation of the new drive.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:49 18 Dec 04

Be patient, it my appear to hang but give it time sometimes you have to wait for the settings too be re-found. This can take upto 10 minutes.

Once found next boot happens quickly.

Viv-208691 22:26 18 Dec 04

Can someone please offer some advice which i will be able to utilise!?

Thanks

SantasLittleHelper 14:27 19 Dec 04

Thanks for all your suggestions, will work my way through them, starting with being a bit more patient.

Alan- 15:34 19 Dec 04

Hi all can any point me in the right direction.Every time i boot up i am getting a blue screen it says unmountable-boot-volume.I am running XP pro.

mrdsgs 15:41 19 Dec 04

i stand to be corrected but with xp i think the cloning will hang when you boot the cloned drive because xp interprets it as new hardware;. i think its part of the activation issue because if you then moved the cloned drive to another machine you would have cloned (illegally) the operating system activation/cd key

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…