Windows XP Start Up Question - PLEASE help!

Peter C 01:05 15 May 03

Hi. I've got a pretty quick computer, but it takes bloody ages to start up when i turn on and restart. I know why it is, it's because when I goto System Information (In The Start Menu), and look at the list of programs that load automatically when windows starts, there's bloody loads! While in this list, I can't change any of them or delete any from the list though.
So where in Windows XP (set in classic windows mode), can I remove the unwanted programs?

Cheers in advance!

you could begin by deleting programs from the startup folder in the all programs menu, this will stop most of the big ones without messing with any essential services

hugh-265156 01:16 15 May 03

go to start/run and type msconfig go to the start up tab and untick any you recgonise click here for a reference guide and reeboot.ignore the warning and tick dont show again.then try bootvis click here and it will boot even faster.might also want to disable some services running too click here

Djohn 01:19 15 May 03

Start/run, and type, msconfig

This will bring up all your programs in the start menu, as with earlier versions of windows.

Un-tick the ones you don't want. But before you do this check for other reasons, I have 26 programs loading and running, XP will deal with these no problem at all.

From boot, my sys. takes 29 seconds to a full load, and ready to go. J.

Peter C 01:46 15 May 03

Thanks very much people! Problem solved! Now boots up in 19 secs! Used to take (no exageration) 3 mins 37 secs!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…