Windows XP Start up problem

tigertop2 20:14 29 Apr 09

I am running Windows XP SP3 on a desktop PC

out of the blue this PC is attempting to open in Windows but an Isass.exe Application Error 'oxc 0000005' appears with the words
'Application failed to initialise properly'

I 'OK' this message and the screen goes black although the mouse pointer still shows

I Googled for advice and learned that a repair on Windows might sort the problem.

I tried this by changing boot order to boot from the CD with the windows XP. I get as far as the message to 'press any key to continue the boot process 'but although the CD is running the boot process continues into Windows and I get the Isass message again. I have double checked that the boot order is CD first and Hard disc second but still get the same problem

Any suggestions on how I can sort this problem would be gratefully received!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:41 29 Apr 09
  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:43 29 Apr 09

Memory problem boot with one stick of memory at a time to see if this clears the problem.

tigertop2 21:01 29 Apr 09

Thanks Fruit bat

I will try the Ram idea first However I think the problem might just be more serious as my wife did a security scan and found a serious problem using Spyware Doctor just before the system error appeared for the first time. She had taken action to remove the problem but maybe it did not cure it

We will try the Ram but this is a pretty stable PC and has been running perfectly for 2 years without the innards being touched

I had a look at the other things on your link but am fairly certain they are not the problem and in most cases I can't try them out as the machine will not boot up into windows in any mode

Bit of a pain and maybe the best solution if all else fails is to replace the hard drive which probably has a corrupt registry and then repair it in an external drive off another PC. That way I can retrieve important files and then wipe the hard drive for reuse . Loading windows is always a last resort but unless anyone else can suggest a fix I may have to do that on a new drive

woodchip 21:19 29 Apr 09

Read click here

tigertop2 22:14 29 Apr 09

Woodchip, Thanks

I have looked at this link. But if one cannot boot in any mode safe or otherwise it is not possible to try the suggested download cures. I can't force ' safe mode' on the start up whatever I try. As it is refusing to boot from CD there are few options left but I am open to suggestions
I don't know if it is registry corruption or something nasty like the worm referred to . Tomorrow I will look at hardware possibilities like a faulty Ram module but I have a gut feeling it may need a new Hard Drive and then I can separately clean the old drive and extract files from that which I want to retain. Appeciate your help though
Thanks

woodchip 00:28 30 Apr 09

On the Computer you are using you need to download this. click here you can run av etc from the cd

tigertop2 09:39 30 Apr 09

woodchip, thanks

The problem still exists in that I cannot get the problem PC to boot from the CD. Yes, I have altered the boot loading priority in the Bios and I can hear the machine attempting to load from the Windows CD (So I can carry out the Windows repair function)but the boot process continues to try to load the hard drive windows OS regardless of the boot priority. and I continue to end up with the Issas .exe.message. Not something I have come across before.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:25 30 Apr 09

In BIOS disable all boot devices except CD, save and exit (F10) and rebbot with CD in drive watch for the message Press any key to boot from CD...

tigertop2 11:06 30 Apr 09

Thanks,will try that too. Your advice is much appreciated

Right now I am downloading a PC Advisor repair CD, (755MB!) re UBCD4, This may help if your tip gets it to boot. If this does not work I will put a new hard drive in and sepately recover data from the old drive in due course
Whatever happens I will post the end result

woodchip 11:15 30 Apr 09

Did you Create a ISO with the Download or just Burn it to disc as it is?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5