Windows XP start-up problem

mtarfa 06:49 11 Nov 03

I am having problems with Windows XP at start-up. When switching on the computer goes through its regular pre windows programs, however once these have been completed the machine hangs up. I do not get as far as the white status bar and the Windows loading page. After switching off and on several times I might be lucky to access the Windows start-up and everything works reasonably well. Recently, my computer was infected by the ‘byteverify’, ‘exception exploit’ and ‘sobig’ viruses, however these were identified and removed by Norton anti-virus. The removal was confirmed by ‘cleaner’ which found no evidence of viruses. I am running Widows XP home edition with AMD Athlon XP1500+, 1.33Ghz and 512 MB RAM. Any advice is greatly received.

alan 2273 08:42 11 Nov 03

Did you switch system restore off before the viruses were removed if not they may be hiding in system restore, beware though if you switch off system restore you will lose all your restore points.

alan 2273 08:46 11 Nov 03

If you do the above do an online scan at this site click here then switch system restore back on

mtarfa 17:28 11 Nov 03

Thanks howevr I'm not surehow to switch off System restore!

christmascracker 17:59 11 Nov 03

right click on my computer, go to properties then the system restore tab and put a tick in the relevent box

mtarfa 20:05 11 Nov 03

Thanks I'll try that later on as everything is working at the moment!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…