Windows XP Start Up

Fish Eagle 15:51 22 Feb 03

My windows Xp was not working well, so I tried to install again without uninstalling.
I reached the stage when the computer re- starts, and that is where it stopped.
When I boot now, I get thge option of starting with Windows setup, and it stops, or I can choose to start with Windows XP, which is what I do.
Without uninstalling Windows XP, how can I get my computer to start normally.
I spent about two hours on the internet updating Windows XP, so I am not going to uninstall.

jazzypop 15:56 22 Feb 03

Is the XP CD still in the drive? Remove it, and you should then just boot into XP without the option to enter Setup.

spikeychris 15:58 22 Feb 03

Your CD isnt in the drive still is it??

Andÿ 15:58 22 Feb 03

How did you 'install again without uninstalling'?

It sounds like you may have partially installed another XP along side your normal one.

The instructions below explain how to reinstall (repair) XP over itself but you loose all the updates anyway so you may be better off starting from scratch with a format and install.

Steps to Repairing Windows XP (must be followed exactly or you will loose all your data or have 2 XP's installed on the same drive).

1. Put your Windows XP Install CD into your CD-ROM drive.

2. Reboot your computer.

3. Let your system boot off of the CD.

4. Let the Setup go through the first part of the Installation procedure.

5. When you come to the screen in which it says "Welcome to Setup." press Enter to Setup Windows XP.

6. Press F8 to agree to the End User License.

7. Let the Setup search your system for previous versions of Windows.

8. When the Setup is finished searching your system, select your Windows XP Installation and press the R key on your keyboard to start the Repair Procedure.

This is the part that might scare you. The Setup will delete all major system files and then replace them with new copies.

You will have to download all of the updates from Microsoft Windows Update again because it replaces the files.

spikeychris 16:03 22 Feb 03

Those high heels don't half hurt..

jazzypop 16:09 22 Feb 03

I find it's the hairs on my legs snagging on the stockings that is worse :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…