Windows XP Speech

rawprawn 13:47 28 Aug 06

I believe that you can get "Speech" to read a word document. Can someone explain to me how, thanks.

€dstowe 14:06 28 Aug 06

Open Word -> Tools -> Speech. It will want you to train so it can recognise your voice. Close that and a new toolbar should appear. One of the tabs says Speech. Click on that and it will read the document (in a most awful voice which I find very difficult to understand).

This works for Word XP and later.

rawprawn 14:22 28 Aug 06

Thanks but all that happens when I click "Speech" is that it puts a tick next to it. Nothing else happens

rawprawn 14:24 28 Aug 06

Am I missing something, I see in Help that it needs a headset to dictate, but I only want it to read a document through my speakers.

Varig 15:03 28 Aug 06

rawprawn, I am trying to do the same thing and get the same result as you.
I tried edstowes suggestion but could not find Speech
in Word>Tools, have a feeling we need to install something maybe from the XP cd, dont really know.

rawprawn 15:11 28 Aug 06

Yes I have done it. Put your Office CD in and close it, then open Word and try again. It will probably say that the feature is not installed, do you want to install it now. Click OK.
I have just done this so I need to train it, but I haven't got a microphone.But I understand now what was wrong.

Stuartli 15:13 28 Aug 06

You should find Speech in Control Panel which allows configuration for text to speed translation.

Stuartli 15:16 28 Aug 06

Just remembered - you probably won't want Sam to play it again...:-)

Varig 15:18 28 Aug 06

Stuartli, I can find Speech in control panel but settings is greyed out so cant do anything from there.

rawprawn, Which Office CD did you use I only have Office 2000.

rawprawn 15:27 28 Aug 06

Thanks for that I now have it working. I simply didn't have speech feature installed.

€dstowe 15:27 28 Aug 06

I can't remember ever installing speech as a separate entity and having heard it once, I wouldn't want to again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5