Windows XP (SP2) and Windows Explorer

Dellman 18:14 30 Mar 05

Quite often when I am in "My Computer", I get following window "pop-up":-

"Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

It requests that the system send a report to Microsoft. I always "click" NO and My Computer/Windows Explorer shuts down. And I have to re-start My Computer to find what I was looking for. It even does this when I am trying to look for picture files.

Anyone tell me why this is/could be happening. I should also state, I guess, that this is on a Mesh 3000 AMD64 machine.

Anyone?

VoG II 18:20 30 Mar 05

Try the System File Checker. Start, Run, type in

sfc /scannow

and click OK. You may be asked to insert your Windows CD.

See click here

Dellman 19:51 30 Mar 05

Thanks VoG..............I only have a Recovery Disk from MESH.........can I use that?

Does anyone else have any other information?

Anyone?

mattyc_92 19:55 30 Mar 05

Try a windows update to see if there is any updates, as this may be happening to many people, so there would be a update to repair this....

Also, why don't you just send the error report??? It doesn't gather any info on you, just info that may help to sort out the problem (you can view what will be included if you wish)

Dellman 23:02 30 Mar 05

I already get automatic Windows updates, so would have thought would already be taken care of........

If I send report............how do I track response? Will they respond directly? I thought this was done annonymously?

woodchip 23:12 30 Mar 05

It may work without the XP CD try it

DieSse 00:22 31 Mar 05

It's worth sending in a report - how can MS fix problems if nobody tells them?

You may or may not get a response - and you can't track it - it's not that sort of service - but it is still a help in general terms even if you don't get to fix the problem that way.

As well as XP updates, also make sure your motherboard and graphics card drivers are up to date.

Also remember that your XP will only be automatically updated with critical updates - there are other kinds that you have to choose manually, so go and check with the update site anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…