Windows XP SP2 stops my broadband connection

video 09:30 05 May 05

Hi all
Having reset my 18 months old computer to its factory settings I have now noticed that my Tiscali broadband works perfectly until I install SP2 after that the connection dies after 30s to 1 minute. The modem works fine, there are no error message, the tap is just empty. Any ideas?

stlucia 12:43 05 May 05

What do you mean by "the tap is just empty"? If you've got an external model, are its power and signal lights on? SP2 incorporates a firewall which might be blocking sites.

Stuartli 12:46 05 May 05

SP2 installs and enables its own firewall by default - if you already have one Disable it from Security Center and ensure your own version is enabled.

video 13:13 05 May 05

By an empty tap I mean that power and signal lights are on as usual and the data counter just indicates a big fat "zero". Facts are
1) Was working fine with SP2 before the factory settings last week
2) Now it works fine with SP1 even with firewall "on".

At the end of the day, is SP2 that necessary?

video 09:40 06 May 05

Hooray

Fixed it. Had to find an anti virus that would not clash with SP2, Restore Point is a real boon.

Indigo 1 11:14 06 May 05

I would be interested to know which AV was clashing with SP2.

video 12:06 06 May 05

Sorry, I could have said. Fair enough for asking.
Once I removed CA e-trust anti virus for AVG7 it still was not working but Panda Platinum does seem to do the trick.

Indigo 1 14:16 06 May 05

First time I have heard of AVG causing any probs.

I use it with SP2 and it is fine.

video 14:21 06 May 05

Indeed, AVG 6 works fine with my laptop SP2. I cannot fault my Aldi desktop, its been serving me prefectly well for the past 18 months and my assumption is that AVG 7 caused the problem now.......

stlucia 20:17 06 May 05

I'm using AVG 7 with SP2, no problems. Any chance that e-trust wasn't fully uninstalled when you tried out AVG?

Dipso 23:58 06 May 05

Is it the Medion 8080?

Does your Sony DVD ROM work OK after installing SP2? I am having intermittent problems with mine and have heard that it could be due to SP2 can you confirm?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…