windows xp sp2 going to be some very upset people

tarkus 21:40 28 Jun 04

i see microsoft have managed to block most of the pirated copies of windows through sp2 rc1 think that there will be some upset people for a few days at least

hugh-265156 21:49 28 Jun 04

fair play.

the only ones with the right to be upset are those poor sods that didnt know any better and paid good money for a dodgy computer thinking they were getting the real deal.

leo49 21:59 28 Jun 04

Dream on - for those whom it effects it'll be a momentary inconvenience just like SP1.

hardware technician guy 22:09 28 Jun 04

you guys gotta admit, it weren't long before sp1 was cracked, the same should apply again. If microsoft throw the gauntlet down to hackers they will eagerly take the challenge up and crack it even quicker than sp1.

Forum Editor 22:23 28 Jun 04

I think that you (and some of the people you refer to) might be in for a surprise.

In any event, it's not the hackers who will be affected, it's the unfortunate people who may unknowingly have bought a cheap computer with a pirate copy of Windows XP installed. The first time they'll know something's wrong is when they try to install SP2 and it fails.

hardware technician guy 22:59 28 Jun 04

i do sympathise with these unfortunate people however my point was simply that it won't be long before sp2 is cracked ??

VoG II 23:06 28 Jun 04

I doubt it. Remember Office 2000 and its XP1?

VoG II 23:07 28 Jun 04

SP1

johnsims 23:17 28 Jun 04

Does it really matter anyway? Most of the really worthwhile stuff is available individually on the windows update website is it not?

User-312386 23:22 28 Jun 04

i wonder if M$ has thought of the corporate editions that may be pirated?

As no activation is required i wonder if XPSP2 RC2 will install?

Forum Editor 23:38 28 Jun 04

and no doubt we'll find out soon enough - watch the Helproom when SP2 launches, it will be a good barometer of how well the MS development team and the beta testers have done between them.

Just out of interest, I've been part of the beta program for this Service Pack since the beginning, and although I must have taken part in dozens of Microsoft beta forums I can't recall the piracy question cropping up once. Perhaps it did, but I missed it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…