Windows XP SP2

Lozzy 13:26 22 Apr 04

Does anyone actually know when this will be released?? and does anyone know if there going to issue it on a free CD..

Cheers

poogles_uk 13:29 22 Apr 04

Dunno, july or june i think.

There may be a free cd - if i ever find anything free from microsoft, i order it, even if i dont need it. It would be a good idea as it is a large download that most people couldn't get - in exchange for entering serial code would be good!!

poogles_uk 13:30 22 Apr 04

Dunno, july or june i think.

There may be a free cd - if i ever find anything free from microsoft, i order it, even if i dont need it. It would be a good idea as it is a large download that most people couldn't get - in exchange for entering serial code would be good!!

DJ-Garry 15:00 22 Apr 04

I have just bought (because I wanted to get all the protection I could before I connected my clean install to the net first) a CD form a guy on eBay entitled: Windows XP Service Pack 1 and 2 plus more. click here.
The content of the disk are viewable here: click here.
The highlighted folder contains a text file that reads:

In Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2, Microsoft is introducing a set of security technologies that will help to improve the ability of Windows XP-based computers to withstand malicious attacks from viruses and worms. The technologies include:
· Network protection
· Memory protection
· Safer e-mail handling
· More secure browsing
· Improved computer maintenance
Together, these security technologies will help to make it more difficult to attack Windows XP, even if the latest updates are not applied. These security technologies together are particularly useful in mitigation against worms and viruses.

along with a program file called xpsp2.exe.
I haven't tried to install it yet (it only arrived today). Any ideas what it could be anyone???

Cheers, Garry.

Sethhaniel 15:06 22 Apr 04

probably somone put that on to CD
as it would take 11 1/2 hours to download using dial-up there are other post at PCA on subject with final being in JUNE and maybe free distribution on CD through outlets -and even Forum Editor has enquired about putting it on a PCA cover disk

Djohn 15:42 22 Apr 04

SP2 is available via a free download but is still only in BETA stage. I believe FE is part of the test team so he will be able to throw more light on it. j.

rawprawn 16:12 22 Apr 04

I have been running SP2 Beta for about three weeks now with no problems. I like it's new security systems and in fact the whole thing feels good.

medicine hat 17:04 22 Apr 04

What are these additional security systems?

Stuartli 17:04 22 Apr 04

The latest issue of PC Advisor (prepared a little while back) states that SP2 will be released "very shortly".

VoG II 17:10 22 Apr 04

click here doesn't answer the question but interesting reading.

DJ-Garry 18:10 22 Apr 04

Does FE have anything to add to this please????

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…