Windows XP SP1 Update and Desktop Icons

Steve Gardener 09:04 12 May 04

Hello.

I hope someone can help me here. My brother had some problems with a few viruses. He had picked up Sasser and MSBlast (i think they were) and a couple of others. We downloaded the SP1 Service Pack as he hadn't been using Windows Update.

Before we installed it we did a clean up of old programs and desktop icons during which i noticed something curious. On my PC my desktop folder is c:\documents and settings\steve\desktop. However on my brothers its c:\documents and settings\james\cookies\desktop!

There is a c:\documents and settings\james\desktop folder but it doesn't seem to be used.

After we installed SP1 the icons on the desktop stopped working. Most would respond with the message "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item". This only occurred with icons in the james\desktop folder. If the icons are moved to the james\cookies\folder then they also don't work!

They will only work if moved to the all users\desktop folder - took 3 hours to find that out!

All the icons where fine before SP1 but now if we install a new program we need to move the programs icons to the all users\desktop folder to work.

There is only the one account by the way.

Is this someone wrong with SP1 or his PC?

Thanks

SG

Steve Gardener 22:31 12 May 04

Can anyone help please?

Thanks

SG

Steve Gardener 11:59 16 May 04

No-one? Please?

Thanks

SG

Diodorus Siculus 12:05 16 May 04

Any chance of doing a reinstall of Windows? It will at least iron out any such problems. I can't think of anything else...

Steve Gardener 10:56 17 May 04

<:-O

SANTOS7 11:18 17 May 04

click here this may help, good luck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…