Windows XP shutting down

Tony The Bike 20:03 11 Apr 04

I have an ASUS motherboard 2.80 intel processor,
512 mb of DD memory and 80 gig hard drive and Windows XP home edition which was all new a fortnight ago. Every now and again after two or three hours the machine re-starts itself. When it comes back on I find that I have lost a couple of the exe files. I thought it might have been overheating, it has got a big fan on the processor which is working ok. I got a new 400psu
with the fan blowing down on the processor. I have taken the sides off the tower to try and cool it down but it still happens. Can anyone help me with this problem?
Thank you all

hugh-265156 20:21 11 Apr 04

to stop it restarting and get a useful error displayed that may help find the problem click:

start/control panel/system/advanced/start up and recovery/settings

untick "automatically restart"

next time it crashes it will display an error,write it down.

in the meantime have a look in:

start/control panel/administrative tools/event viewer click on the system and application tabs and look for red x`s these are errors.click each error to get more information on them.may help.

ade.h 20:23 11 Apr 04

I doubt if it is overheating; assuming your PC was pre-built from a good supplier (Evesham, et al.) then the fan they chose should be sufficient. Just in case, can you look in BIOS and tells us what your sytem and CPU temps are after a couple of hours use?

ade.h 20:25 11 Apr 04

Have you got any case fans installed? If so, make sure they're running okay.

Tony The Bike 20:32 11 Apr 04

Thank you Huggyg71 & ade.h

hugh-265156 20:36 11 Apr 04

you can type error codes into the search Kb box top left click here

this helps if its a known problem.sometimes it doesnt help though.

spencer boy 21:18 11 Apr 04

I have XP home edition on my pc and it too crashes/freezes frequently (started about 2 weeks ago). With all the 'microsoft error' messages it says it is something to do with the SiS Display Drivers not being updated or maybe faulty or mis-matched memory. Have downloaded the latest SiS AGP drivers (1.17) but can't seem to get a new 'updated' driver. When running the DirectX Diagonistic Tool - the test on the Direct3D Acceleraton works on Direct 7 but fails on Direct 8. Have used Direct 8 for a long time without problems so i would guess that somewhere along the line i have downloaded something that has caused the problem (i but i haven't downloaded/installed any new hardware/software). I am a bit stuck at the moment. Can I run a memory check in XP or is there a good free piece of diagnostics software about on the web. Any help would be great.

Thanks.

hugh-265156 21:34 11 Apr 04

would be best to start your own thread on this one.

have you tried system restore back to two weeks ago when all was well?

Tony The Bike 15:35 13 Apr 04

Thank you all It was a bad memoy stick.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…