Windows XP shutdown shortcut

trickydicky 21:05 09 Jun 03

In Windows 98 you could create a shortcut that you could click to quickly shutdown windows, but how do you do this in XP.

jazzypop 21:35 09 Jun 03
  trickydicky 18:55 11 Jun 03

The shortcut works to a certain extent but it does not do the full software shutdown that it used to do in Windows 98, I have to push the on/off button to completely shut it down, is there any way to make it shut down altogether.

Trickydicky

Djohn 19:07 11 Jun 03

Do you have a "Power off button" top right of your keyboard? Just above the (Pause/break key). Hitting that will close down applications/programs and then switch off your PC. j.

Sir Radfordin™ 19:12 11 Jun 03

You may be able to programe your power button to shutdown (not just turn off) the Dell one's do that.

jazzypop 19:12 11 Jun 03

I suspect that there is a BIOS setting somewhere that needs altering, if Windows shuts down but your PC does not power-off. Are you sure it is not going into a suspend or hibernate mode? Check also that the Power settings in Control Panel are set correctly.

spikeychris 19:25 11 Jun 03

ßéŁâ, I've tried that prog in the past, may be the scripting I have going on at bootup/shutdown but it wouldn't work. There is the option of 'switch off' a remarkable prog that will do more than shutdown, it will lock the machine, restart, hibernate, standby or log off. click here and download it. You have to be aware though, if you have scripts running it will not work correctly.

Chris

Dave Bowman 19:27 11 Jun 03

I've tried this line before, it works and its fast but I would suggest finding out if you have a set up problem first.

C:\windows\system32\shutdown.exe /s /t 0

keith-236785 21:05 11 Jun 03

you could press ALT+F4 together to bring up the shutdown menu.

good luck

keith-236785 21:11 11 Jun 03

you may have to press ALT+F4 twice if you have something else running, once you get the shutdown menu, just press U+ENTER, this will shutdown your computer,

dont know if this is exactly what you want but it is quick and saves you bothering with the mouse, you can do the same by pressing the windows key on your keyboard, pressing the up cursor once, enter, then U+ENTER

Audeal 21:23 11 Jun 03

Try this little Wizmo from Steve Gibson's site. There are lots of options you can try out, including one for Shutting down or Rebooting your system. Put the shortcuts you want onto the desktop. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…