Windows XP shutdown problem

lulu648 00:59 20 May 06

I bought my packard bell imedia 1404 PC in march and everything was fine until i recently got broadband internet.

If I have been connected to the internet, even for a short space of time, my computer hangs when i try to shut it down. I can log off and shut down easy enough however my pc hangs on the "Windows is shutting down" screen and the only way to turn it off is by the standby button.

I have also noticed that after being on the internet, upon trying to reconnect i just get a "this page cannot be displayed" screen and the only way to get back onto the internet is by restarting my computer, which means i have to turn it off and on again.

I am currently using tiscali broadband 2.3mb and i have a sagem ADSL USB box, and I am running on windows XP SP2.

Can anybody help me?!!!!!

woofwoofbark 07:54 20 May 06

I dunno if this will help , but , I had my comp hang on me on shutdown but only when I used peer-2-peer download programs ... it turned out to be the modem I was using , BT Voyager USB modem on BT Yahoo Broadband .. I have since bought a Trust 445 router and everything shuts off in seconds .... maybe your problem is to do with driver and you should check the net for a driver update .... just a thought !

geo g

wee eddie 08:08 20 May 06

What AV and Spyware protection programs are you running?

Eric half-a-bee 09:39 20 May 06

Have a look at
click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:11 20 May 06

Shutdown problems
click here
click here
click here

lulu648 10:45 20 May 06

Thanks geo g, I was looking at USB device problems last night, there were no driver updates so I think it is definaltely a modem problem. Im gonna ring tiscali today and order a new one.

lulu648 10:47 20 May 06

Im using McAfee Internet suite 2006 and spy sweeper. Do you think it could be AV?

Stuartli 11:23 20 May 06

There's a section about this problem in the excellent TweakXP guide at:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…