Windows XP shutdown Problem

Pezcp 20:36 01 Apr 04

Can anyone enlighten me as to why suddenly my system fails to shutdown when I ask it to?
Whenever I shutdown or restart Xp the system freezes on the XP shutting down screen. The only way to shutdown is holding the power button in.
I'm currently running XP pro, with an AMD Athlon 2200 with 256 mb of ram and an nvidia gforce 2mx display adaptor
Thanks

VoG II 20:39 01 Apr 04

See if click here is any help.

cdb 21:41 01 Apr 04

I posted a similar problem a long time ago now, but I'm afraid it never got resoloved. My pc always freezes on a restart at the same point as it would turn off it I'd done a shut down.

I can't see anything on your link that helps me VoG. :(

keith-236785 07:02 02 Apr 04

either of you got norton anti virus installed?

this has caused problems for me in the past albeit with win98 but it could be the same for XP, if you do. shutdown Norton first then try to shutdown windows. (you may even have to uninstall Norton then try again)

or it could be a corrupt sound file (windows exit sound) that will stop (or pause) windows exit.

cant help much im afraid, just give a few ideas.

Sethhaniel 09:26 02 Apr 04

- Memory Stick / Card Reader - they can sometimes stop your computer from closing

SteveD73 09:34 02 Apr 04

For some reason my Windows XP PC sometimes shuts down,then reboots so has to be shut down again. Also sometimes my USB connected wireless mouse needs to be moved across it's mat for the system to power down.

Pezcp 10:30 02 Apr 04

Thanks Seth, I do have a card reader and for some reason it's just decided to stop the computer from shutting. I've had it installed for ages with no probs before. Anyway problem solved Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…