Windows XP Shut Down

Bransgrove 17:14 30 Jul 03

Is there a way I can assign a shortcut key to shut down windows.

Jester2K II 17:15 30 Jul 03

Create a shortcut on the desktop with the path:
C:\windows\rundll.exe user.exe,exitwindowsexec

Jester2K II 17:18 30 Jul 03

In Windows XP, restoring the shortcut is amazingly easy. Right-click on the Desktop and choose New | Shortcut from the pop-up menu. Browse to the file C:\Windows\ System32\Shutdown.exe, click Next, name the shortcut, and click Finish. Now right-click on the new shortcut and choose Properties. In the Target box, append the command line switch -l (to log off), -s (to shut down), or -r (to reboot).

If you also add the switch ?t xx (where xx is a number of seconds), Shutdown.exe will display a warning and count down the specified number of seconds before activating. You can specify a comment to be displayed with the warning by adding the switch -c "Your text". The countdown behavior is particularly useful if the shutdown program is launched through the Scheduled Tasks applet. For example, a library computer might be scheduled to shut down 10 minutes before closing, with a 60-second warning. Once the countdown has begun, the only way to stop it is to launch the program again with the -a (for abort) switch on its command line.

Bransgrove 17:20 30 Jul 03

Thanks much obliged!

peeby 04:05 03 Aug 03

Press the power-off button on the case, and XP does a normal shutwown. No sure if all Xp version have this as this mag had a little prog on a disc 4 or 5 months back to achieve this and when I went looking there where you set screen savers and all the rest I found I already have it. Now I just reach down and press the power-off button,no need to touch mouse or keyboard

Quiller. 07:42 03 Aug 03

Yes I have the same here.

I just touch the power button, on the tower, for a fraction of a second and shut down is automatic.

win x\p pro

Bransgrove 08:22 03 Aug 03

It would be very useful if you can

powerless 14:59 03 Aug 03

Just entering:

shutdown -s

is all that is needed.

peeby 15:27 03 Aug 03

I,m sure it was PC advisor I've had a look but cant turn it up. But,but but I did not install it as when I went and checked I already had the facility, just did not know. It may even have been activated ,just never heard of it. I'll email Bransgrove with screenshot. I have XP home and the machine is quite new about 8 months

peeby 15:54 03 Aug 03

This might be in the download aarchive still

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…