Windows XP setting up passwords & access

mark e 18:19 02 Apr 03

Would someone please explain how to restrict / prevent access to my D: drive. I want to prevent my children accessing the drive because all my work files are there and I don't want them deleted etc. I have tried the microsoft help files but can't set get my head around the way they say I should do it

Many Thanks
Mark E

mark e 18:29 02 Apr 03

NTFS on the C: & fat 32 on D:

mark e 18:34 02 Apr 03

Do you mean I have to change the drive format? and if so How?

spikeychris 18:41 02 Apr 03

Type cmd into run then type convert d: /fs:ntfs

Chris

mark e 18:44 02 Apr 03

Thanks ßéŁâ & spikeychris, Going offline to do it now.

spikeychris 19:04 02 Apr 03

If your on XP Pro then go to Management Console from administrative tools (console.msc) On the Console menu, click Add/Remove Snap-in.

Add the Group Policy snap-in for the default domain policy. The default GPO is Local Computer. Open the following sections, User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Windows Components, and Windows Explorer.
Click Hide these specified drives in My Computer.
Click to select the Hide these specified drives in My Computer check box.
Click the appropriate option in the drop-down box.

Chris

mark e 22:35 03 Apr 03

spikeychris

You lost me in the first paragraph. I realise it would be time consuming but would you be good enough to do an idiots guide to setting this up.

Many Thanks
Mark E

spikeychris 11:48 04 Apr 03

Mark

I take it then you are using Pro. Go to start and then programs then administrative tools, click console.msc, this will open a new window click the console button at the top of the screen then click add/remove snap-in then click "add", a new window will open and you want to find group policy, click this option and click add. Another box will appear called "select group policy object" with "local computer" highlighted, click finish.

You will now notice that group policy appears in the add snap-in box, double click "local computer policy" and click OK.

You will now see a + symbol at the side of "local computer policy"..click it. and a few more +'s will appear, click the + net to "User Configuration" then "Administrative Templates" then "Windows Components", and Windows Explorer. Now you must click the Windows Explorer folder, not the + at the side.

This will open a whole host of options on the right hand side of the screen, double click "hide these specifed drives in my computer. Click the enabled button and the empty bar underneath will open and you will have options to hide whatever drive you want.

Make sure you click save when you close the console down.

Working from memory but I think its in the right order.

Chris

mark e 11:51 04 Apr 03

Thanks Chris I will do this now & let you know the outcome
Mark

mark e 12:01 04 Apr 03

There is no console.msc in administrative tools
All I can see is :
component services, comp management, data sources, event viewer, local security policy, MS.net framework config, MS.net framework wizards, performance, and services.
I don't have a console.msc there tried searching and nothing found.
Mark

Pikachu 12:24 04 Apr 03

Hi Mark
If you got to start and then run and type mmc and click ok you should get the console screen. You can then follow the instrcution from spikeychris. I hope this helps

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…