//some 3rd party need geo

Windows XP Services

rufus-speed 22:58 04 May 04

Every so often I have problems on boot-up. After looking at the event log it seems to be because certain services decide not to start occasionally eg. DCOM sometimes gets error and this causes 'knock-on' effects.
This happens about once in every 10 boot-ups. What is causing this and how can I ensure a clean boot-up every time?

mgmcc 23:13 04 May 04

Get the little application to disable DCOM from click here and see if that sorts it.

rufus-speed 10:55 11 May 04

Thanks for that but, according to Event Viewer, the problem seems to be :-

1. The DHCP Client service hung on starting;
2. The Windows Audio serveice failed to start due to the following error: The pipe state is invalid;

Any ideas?

mgmcc 23:41 11 May 04

<< 1. The DHCP Client service hung on starting >>

This is a very long shot, but you haven't by any chance uninstalled Norton AntiVirus 2002 recently? When installed, it creates a registry entry that DHCP is dependent on a NAV component. When uninstalled, it doesn't remove that dependency and DHCP stops working.

Don't know about the second error, but it might help to disable the Windows Startup sound.

rufus-speed 08:19 12 May 04

I have Norton SystemWorks 2003, containing AntiVirus 2003, running on my PC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…