Windows XP Service Pack 3 won't install

PC_HelpMe 11:27 09 Nov 09

Hi everyone,

Apologies if this has already been asked and I have missed it - but if so, if anyone can direct me to the post I would be very much obliged.

Anyway, we use Windows XP Home Edition (service pack 2) and in our updates recently, has appeared an option to install Service Pack 3. However, upon selecting this to be updated, the installation gets so far and then it says something about the registry not being happy and it then proceeds to uninstall itself again. Are we doing something wrong or do we need to turn any software off being selecting the update (ie; firewalls or anything) in order to get this Service Pack 3 to install properly?

(We have just installed Internet Explorer 8 as this was also one of the available updates - but we actually use Firefox as our default browser).

Thanks for your time folks.

PC_HelpMe 11:29 09 Nov 09

To be a bit more precise, the message that comes up when it won't install is "Service Pack 3 could not backup registry value".

ambra4 11:42 09 Nov 09

You need to clean up the registry and temp files before installing SP3

Download Advanced SystemCare™ Free and run

click here

john bunyan 12:01 09 Nov 09

It may be worth downloading to a folder ,rather than running it, then installing in safe mode. I remember having to do this when SP3 first appeared.

john bunyan 12:08 09 Nov 09

See here:
click here

john bunyan 12:11 09 Nov 09

Now I remember that some anti virus etc can interfere. Hence the download first and install in safe mode - I unplugged from the internet to avoud risks. The MS article is worth following.

GaT7 12:50 09 Nov 09

If you're still having problems, you can use something like nLite (click here) to slipstream/integrate it into the OS before installing. Never fails for me.

All you need is a CD-rw drive & software to burn the resultant image (use the free click here if needed). Let me know if you need a step-by-step in creating the disk. G

PC_HelpMe 14:03 09 Nov 09

Thanks folks.

I think hubby cleaned the registry/temp files first anyway, but I quite prefer the option of downloading SP3 to a folder first and THEN installing it when disconnected from the internet. How do I go about doing it this way?

GaT7 15:14 09 Nov 09

click here to download the entire SP3.

On completion, navigate to the SP3 file & double-click it to install. You might want to install it in Safe Mode, like jb has suggested above. G

john bunyan 16:03 09 Nov 09

Once you have downloaded from Crossbow7's link to a folder or desktop, just close down, retart in safe mode (keep tapping F8 as pc starts and select safe mode.) Pull out ethernet cable connecting pc to modem. Then go to the download and install as normal. Close down, restart as usual in normal mode and reconnect. Then check with the MS update site for updates.

PC_HelpMe 19:22 12 Nov 09

Hi folks,

Well bad news. I followed john's instructions, having downloaded SP3 from Crossbow7's link to a folder - and I got the same message that came up.

It is a pop up error box that comes up saying "Service Pack 3 Setup could not backup registry value HKCR\.wdp,\'\'. 5: Access is denied".

It then just gives me the option to Abort, Retry or Ignore. I therefore Aborted such.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…