//some 3rd party need geo

Windows XP - Service Pack 2

JayDay 14:50 20 Jun 04

I have read the review for this in PCA August Edition. I can't find in on the Microsoft website. Has it been released yet? Have PCA reviewed it before it's been released?

VoG II 14:55 20 Jun 04
  Forum Editor 15:00 20 Jun 04

but it's not far off. I'm currently running the RC2 beta version, which was sent to me last week. I've tested this service pack since the beginning of its beta cycle, and in my opinion it's about ready - although we may see one more beta version before the final release candidate.

It's certainly very stable. I have it running on my main machine (this one) now, and I wouldn't do that unless I felt really happy with the software.

LastChip 15:04 20 Jun 04

is comprehensive in it's overview but be warned, this service pack will for many, end in tears!

Microsoft have admitted, that up to one in ten of older applications are likely to fail to work, once this service pack is installed, and many industry observers, think this is a conservative estimate!

AcidBurn7uk 15:45 20 Jun 04

I had the RC1 beta installed not so long back and I couldn't install/uninstall anything that used the Windows Installer Service!! Un-installing SP2 did the trick though and all is running fine now.

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:36 20 Jun 04

I'm running SP2 and I've put it on another computer. No problems at all but nothing for home users to get too excited about.

G

bretsky 16:44 20 Jun 04

I read LastChips comments with interest, I have an old version of XP{Nov 2001}and since then I have added sp1, and loads of apps, drivers not digitally signed etc etc, and it does sound very ambitious of M/S to think that it will work with older systems.

I suppose the only way it would work, would be to do a clean installation of the o/s the install the new Sp.

Anyway, will look out for more reviews{haven't had my pca Aug ed yet!}

bretsky ;0)

powerless 18:07 20 Jun 04

You can download RC2 from click here

But as it beta, leave it alone.

Forum Editor 18:39 20 Jun 04

that there's nothing for home users to get too excited about in this Service Pack. It's the best I've seen, bar none, and has many features which will directly benefit home users.

Chief among these are the additional security benefits, and there can be no doubt whatsoever that by default a WindowsXP box will be far safer after the SP than at present. The keywords there are 'by default' because it's as well to remember that although we have a large forum membership it mainly consists of people who have at least a passing interest in computers. In the big wide world there are millions of people who use computers but have no real knowledge of what goes on under the bonnet or on the internet, and have no real desire to do so. These people will have increased protection from the SP without having to fiddle with a single setting or install any additional standalone protection programs, and that alone adds up to a big step forward.

Of course it's possible to get the same (or better) protection by manually bolting in extra programs, but in my experience with private clients that just doesn't happen - it's not their fault, they simply don't know what to do.

It will be interesting to see what the takeup figures will be, once the SP is released. It's vital, from Microsoft's point of view, that the release has a good press, and the beta cycle has concentrated very much on ironing out as many bugs as possible - I've lost count of the number of MS beta forum sessions I've participated in. I've beta tested every new operating system and version of MS Office since Windows 95, and never have I seen such a professionally conducted test routine as this Service Pack. Of course there'll be incompatibilities and installation glitches - that's inevitable in such a large userbase - but it deserves to succeed. One thing's for sure, here in the forum we'll be among the first to see the problems as they arise.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…