Windows XP Security

Pesala 10:30 30 Nov 06

I have just started using XP. I have set it up for a single user. There doesn't seem to be any way to start up Windows as a guest without knowing my password. Is this correct? Is there some other way a user can gain access to my PC and its documents without knowing my Windows password? E.g. using a bootable CD?

Jackcoms 10:34 30 Nov 06

Control Panel; User Accounts.

Activate the Guest Account as a Limited account.

mattyc_92 11:23 30 Nov 06

There are many tools out there (some free, others VERY expensive) that can be 'booted' from a Floppy Disc or CD/DVD.
These tools can easily remove your password.

If you are worried about security, I suggest that you should disable 'boot from floppy' and 'boot from CD' in the BIOS, and then password protect your BIOS setup to stop people from changing the boot order and gaining access to password removal tools

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:56 30 Nov 06

Pro is more secure than Home.
However as an amateur I could have access to all your files and folders within 10 minutes.

If security is what you want then use 3 rd partysoftware to lock or encrypt your files / folders (just don't forget the password and don't encrypt windows folders /files for when you need to do a repair).

If all you want to do is allow others to use our PC then set up accounts password protect yours and make your folders private. This will stop others looking at your stuff unless they are really determined.

Pesala 13:25 30 Nov 06

My concern is protecting data such as email addresses, phone numbers, personal corrspondence, wand passwords, etc., if my PC gets stolen. There is nobody here except me who can use my PC without my permission.

It looks like it would be advisable to use an encryption program like Truecrypt click here to store any personal files, much as I use Steganos Safe on my old PC. Opera is installed on the secure drive, and that holds most of my contact details.

I presume that preventing boot up through BIOS could be bypassed simply by installing the hard drive on a different PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy Book review: Hands-on with Samsung’s high-end hybrid

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is probably one of the best bank ads we’ve seen

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple