Windows XP Safe Mode

cabledude 13:46 16 May 09

I am trying to start my pc in Safe Mode - the Safe Mode drivers load and login screen appears but I can go no further as the mouse & keyboard stop working. I thought this might be because they are wireless, but even if I plug in PS2 k/board & mouse the same thing happens. How do I get out of this one?!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:03 16 May 09

PS2 Keyboard and mouse must only be fitted / removed with PC shutdown.

cabledude 14:31 16 May 09

Both were connected when shutdown, I have tried several times but still no change

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:38 16 May 09

Go into BIOS and check that USB Legacy for DOS is ENABLED.

Save and exit, your USB keyboard should then work before windows tries to load any drivers.

Pineman100 14:39 16 May 09

Why are you trying to start in Safe Mode? Is it to run System Restore back to before a problem started?

You could try choosing Last Known Good Configuration from the boot options menu.

cabledude 14:52 16 May 09

USB settings in BIOS all enabled already - still no joy.

I have tried last known good config to no avail. Problem started when I ran Windows Update; I foolishly selected a hardware update (NVIDIA net bus controller I think). On completion of this "update" I had lost my network connections - in Device Manager both Network Controllers were flagged with yellow ! and would not start. I tried rolling back the drivers with no success.

I then downloaded NForce Platform drivers and installed but when pc restarted I was left with the Black Screen of Doom......then I tried Safe Mode to undo whatever it is I've done!!!!!

cabledude 13:30 17 May 09

As I can't seem to get anywhere with this problem I think I'll format drive and start over from scratch. I need to transfer all the important stuff to my laptop first - something called "Magic Bridge II" from Maplin looks like what I need, is it suitable (hard drive is SATA)?...do I need to remove hard drive?

Pineman100 14:31 17 May 09

I'm not familiar with Magic Bridge, but as an alternative, you might consider using Linux Puppy: click here

It's an OS that you can use to boot the computer from a USB Flash drive or a memory stick. You can then use Puppy to backup the data off your "dead" HDD.

I've never used it myself, but I keep a copy of it on a USB stick, just in case.

Pineman100 14:32 17 May 09

Sorry - I meant "from a USB flash drive or a CD".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…