Windows XP Running on Laptop - Lost desktop

eego 22:09 22 Apr 05

A friend has given me her HP Laptop because as she says "I've lost all of my Font's".

What has actually happened is that she has Lost her complete desktop and task bars.

I was able to get her up and running by using the task manager to access various drives and load some AV and Antispy software. Norton AV identified and removed 1 file with W32.Blaster and Counterspy cleaned up a mountain of other stuff. But on re-boot there is still no Desktop. Anyone have any ideas (Note. the same applies in "Safe Mode" a screen appears but know icons or start bar.

VoG II 22:12 22 Apr 05
  eego 22:13 22 Apr 05

Sorry everyone looks very much as if I may get may answere from the previous posting. So busy with my own little world didn't notice it

woodchip 22:13 22 Apr 05

If you have no WinXP disc then you have problems

Night Ryder 22:14 22 Apr 05

I had this happen to me a while ago. I had the display settings set to a screen larger than my monitor. I think the setting was called scan.
If you move the mouse to the edge of the screen soes it scroll. If so you may have the same problem. Re set your sacreen resolution.

eego 22:17 22 Apr 05

Vog

already tried that your first suggestion, but I can't get the display options either, All I have is the background screen.

woodchip 22:30 22 Apr 05

Have you any kind of XP cd?

eego 22:38 22 Apr 05

Vog

Your second thread didn't work either

Woodchip

Yes I do have a bootable XP disc I hpe you are going to suggest running the repair programme

woodchip 22:41 22 Apr 05

IF it's the CD why not try it, Vog can stear you through it as I tend to just reload a Image file that I make

VoG II 22:43 22 Apr 05

Courtesy of Mr P click here

eego 22:44 22 Apr 05

Just found another little gem, the owner is "Logged on" even after power down and it stays that way during re-boot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…