windows xp repair installation for system restore

bluetulip 22:39 24 Sep 09

system restore wont work for me, a tec looked at it for me and said i need to re-install my windows xp..... would a window xp repair installation do the same thing ?
and is either straight forward enough for a novice

birdface 22:47 24 Sep 09

Did you try it in safe mode.Not sure if you have the disc go to run and type in sfc /scannow Ok.You may be asked to install the disc to carry on.Now not that sure if it will fix system restore or not so maybe better waiting to see if there are any other fixes for it.

Sea Urchin 22:48 24 Sep 09

Try running it in safe mode. My XP system has never worked in normal mode, but always does in safe mode.

click here

Sea Urchin 00:02 25 Sep 09

Make sure that you have hidden files shown - Control Panel > Folder Options > View tab > click against 'Show hidden files and folders' - click Apply and OK.

Then go to My Computer > Local Drive C: > Windows folder > Inf Folder. Find SR.INF, right click on it, and select Install. This should repair the System restore.

Stuartli 13:00 25 Sep 09

Go to Start>> Run. Type in:

Regedit

then press Enter

Navigate to the following registry key;

HKLM\Software\Policies\Microso­ft\Windows NT\SystemRestore

Single click once on the entry SystemRestore to move its contents into the right pane.

Find the entry DisableSR, right click on it and delete it.

Might be wise to do a Registry backup first.

bluetulip 17:55 28 Sep 09

many thanks

bluetulip 18:23 28 Sep 09

I'm a novice, so it will take me a litle time to work through the advice i've been given.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…