Windows XP repair via Disc

Kilty 18:36 13 Oct 09

I am trying to repair windows using a friends copy of Windows XP Pro, when I get to the enter the product key, it says that the key is not valid, I have also tried putting in the product key for the original XP pro that was on the laptop.

Is there anyway round this? Or am I doing something wrong.

Thanks in advance for any help given.

DieSse 18:58 13 Oct 09

You should ONLY use the code that's on the laptop. Using your friends code is not allowed.

You may have the wrong code for the type of CD you have. If you've got a label on a laptop it's an OEM version of XP - if the CD is a retail version, then it won't work.

However if you've tried your friends CD and code - then they should at least be valid together.

It's very easy to misread the codes printed on the labels on equipment - 8 and B look very similar in the font they use. So double check everything.

DieSse 19:03 13 Oct 09

A different question - why are you doing the repair? - what's the problem?

Also, sometimes manufacturers don't actually use the code on the label when they do the installations.

Does your Windows actually start up - if it does you can get the actual code in it using Belarc - a free download.

There is also a (quite complex) way of getting at the code from your laptop even with Windows not working correctly.- though I'd have to look it up, as I've only used it once some time ago.

Does Windows work at all?

woodchip 19:18 13 Oct 09

It sounds like you are using a oem disc from another computer, as that is what happened to me when I tried to use one on a New Drive to Dual Boot with 98se. I finished up buying a oem CD with key

woodchip 19:20 13 Oct 09

PS Manufactures oem CD's are changed in the Installation boot part of the CD. I found with two of my Medion Computers that the Key Medion used in the Registry was Different to the one on the computer

Stuartli 19:31 13 Oct 09

This utility is claimed to be able, amongst other features, to retrieve the product key from an unbootable Windows installation:

click here

If you can boot up, then Belarc Advisor will list the product key in its details of the system's hardware, software etc.

Stuartli 19:34 13 Oct 09

Are you certain it was originally XP Pro that was installed.

You cannot use an XP Pro disk to Repair XP Home and vice versa.

lotvic 22:08 13 Oct 09

According to previous thread (yesterday) click here Kilty has a laptop with XP Home

lotvic 22:12 13 Oct 09

What make and model of laptop do you have?
There will probably be some sort of recovery/repair option from a hidden partition.
You usually have to press F11 or similar on boot up to access the menu.

Kilty 05:24 14 Oct 09

Thanks for all help so far. I have a Toshiba Satallite and its running XP pro. I am trying to repair with a copy of XP pro that came boxed (so dont think its an oem). The problem I originally had was that I lost .dll files in a virus scan, and could only get it to boot in safe mode. Couldnt get sfc /scannow to work, so was suggested to repair using another copy of windows (as I dont have the original discs). I did say it was home in the previous thread, but it is pro, sorry my mistake.

Thanks for all help given and anymore to come.

Kilty 15:15 14 Oct 09

If I were to use an OEM disc rather than retail, would this make a difference?

Thanks in advance for any help given.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac