Windows XP - Remote Assistance

Billy911 06:46 12 Feb 04

When using the Remote Assistance I cannot take control of the other persons PC. The various buttons at the top of the screen don't appear (one of which is TAKE CONTROL). I can see the other persons screen and watch them perform tasks okay and they can also take control of mine no problem. I phoned Microsoft and was told that because my copy of Windows was an OEM I would be charged £45+VAT. I said no thanks. Can anyone help?

©®@$? 08:52 12 Feb 04

not to sure about this, but you say he can take control of your machine but you can't take control over his, the only thing i can think of is there is a setting that needs changing on his machine

tell him to right click my computer/properties/remote/advanced

and see if the box is checked next to allow this computer to be controlled remotley

if its not checked tell him to check it

©®@$? 08:54 12 Feb 04

i tell ya what! if my above post sorts the problem, microsoft are having a laugh at charging £45 + VAT

©®@$? 09:16 12 Feb 04

One solution: Set Active Scripting in MSIE for the Internet zone to Enable or Prompt

Chegs ® 10:49 12 Feb 04

I found the easiest method for Remote Control on a pc was d/l and cfg click here instead.

Billy911 19:59 12 Feb 04

I'll give the advice a try tomorrow (she's off out tonight). Thanks for the info.

Billy911 19:57 20 Feb 04

I tried everything above but still no joy. I might give VNC a try.

Billy911 17:39 13 Sep 04

Seems to be working again and I've no idea why!! Oh well, such are computers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…