Windows XP reload - now no mosue or keyboard

Postit 11:30 16 Oct 09

Hi all,

to cut a long story short, I've done an over the top reload of XP on a DELL Optiplex 210L (which had XP SP3 on it). The CD used appears now to have been original XP - i.e. not even SP1.
Initial problem was that while all worked ok in terms of booting up, I was getting lots of :
"procedure entry point xxxxxx could not be located in xxxxxxx messages and most (but not all)applications failed to start.

Then I thought I'd download SP3 and install that. That didn't work as it eventually told me I needed at least SP1 to allow SP3 to load.

Then I put on SP1 from an old mag CD that I had.

Thats where it all went completely pear shaped.
After that, the system will boot but once windows screen appears, its very slow from there on and When the log on screen appears theres no mouse or keyboard working.
Mouse led isn't on but keyboard number lock is lit.
Being a DELL it has no PS2 connectors so using a USB-PS2 convertor.

Help gladly received at this point.

lotvic 12:13 16 Oct 09

DELL Optiplex 210L link to manual click here
Choose HTLM 'View' the User Guide (don't download the .zip as it will install on pc as part of Help&Support)
Click on link for 'Reinstalling Driver and the Operating System'

Drivers & Downloads for OptiPlex 210L click here=

Postit 13:10 16 Oct 09

Hi,
thanks for that but the problem I have at the moment is that I can't do anything on the PC as I have no keyboard and no mouse that are recognised by the OS.

Any ideas where to start now ?

lotvic 14:07 16 Oct 09

Switch pc off by holding in the power button on tower for about 6-7 seconds. Then wait 1 minute and reboot. See if that makes any difference to it recognising the USB ports.

Postit 16:18 16 Oct 09

Tried that - no different. Will boot to windows but once log on screen appears - mouse & keyboard won't work. Works fine in BIOS.

I've also gone right back and done another repair with the original XP CD. With just original XP and no service pack loaded, both work fine.

Then loaded XP SP2 and once finally booted, it was back to no mouse and keyboard working.

Is there anyway of getting to a command prompt before it boots to windows so that I could load SP3, as it all worked fine when the original SP3 was on here. Oh how I wish I never started.

Help !

Postit 17:55 16 Oct 09

Hi,
in trying to resolve another issue I have I need to boot in DOS.
I've formatted a floppy with DOS startup and it boots fine to the A drive.
It won't allow any other drive to be connected to.
everything comes back as "Invalid Drive Specification"

Any suggestions ?

lotvic 20:04 16 Oct 09

OK try this click here
you may have the option of using 'PC Restore'

from > Technical Support for OptiPlex 210L
Using PC Restore in Windows XP or Media Center
Notice:
Restoring the original factory image erases ALL existing data. This includes files, folders, programs, drivers, E-mails, photos. Before performing a PC Restore, back up all personal files. If you do not back up your personal files, the data will be lost.

1 Turn on the computer.

2 When the Dell splash screen appears during the computer startup process, press and hold <Ctrl> and then press <F11>. Then, release both keys at the same time.
NOTE: Some systems like Inspiron Mini 9 (910) do not support System Restore as they do not have <F11> nor any substitute.

3 In the Dell PC Restore by Symantec window, click Restore. Alternatively, press <Tab> to highlight Restore, and then press <Enter>.

4 When a warning message appears stating that all data will be lost, click Confirm, or press <Tab> to highlight Confirm and then press <Enter>.

The Progress window will appear. Once the restore process starts, Dell PC Restore by Symantec usually takes about 8 to 10 minutes to finish.

When the restore process is complete, the following message will appear:
The system recovery process was successful.

5 Click Finish or press <Tab> to highlight Finish and then press <Enter> to restart the computer.
The software is now installed as it was when the computer was first received.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:36 16 Oct 09

C drive invalid in DOS mode
because drive will be formatted in NTFS which DOS cannot see.

USB to PS2 adaptors are generally useless in WINDOWS, get yourself a USB keyboard (very cheap at the big supermarkets).

Postit 01:42 17 Oct 09

Nope - PC restore doesn't seem to be loaded/work on the PC. Tried it numerous ways but no application started up.

Any other plan of action ? If I reload the original XP again from my restore cd and try updating all drivers, any chance that would work or is it a windows thing that SP1 & SP2 don't seem to recognise the KB & mouse. Strange that it does in the original non SP version and obviously did in SP3 when it was working before all this started.

lotvic 11:53 17 Oct 09

Yes, start again, and you need the drivers, chipset/motherboard etc. I gave you the link to download them all.
Prob best to burn them to a CD.

It looks like a drivers problem not the SP's

Postit 22:01 18 Oct 09

Tried a different approach after a bit more web research. I slipstreamed a n XP SP3 update (downloaded from MS) into the original XP install/recovery CD I had.
Despite what it says on various web forums this does work for the original version and you don't need an original SP1 or SP2 CD - or at least it worked for me when I followed the the directions from this link:
click here
Various other sites seem to provide an easier method of doing it but they all had their own problsems and the one above works fine if you follow it to the letter.

So lotvic, thanks for all the support and ideas. Much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…