Windows XP rejects scanner

polonius 16:12 13 Jul 05

Have been having trouble with Canon scanner, but usually got it to work after plugging/unplugging. Now I'm told 'the USB device is not working'. Tried to use my old Epson Perfection 1250 but Win XP refused to install it. Any answers? Might it be the USB 2 cable that's faulty or am I going to have to buy a new scanner that will be acceptable to Win XP? Can anyone suggest a scanner that will work without all this fuss? Many thanks!

PsiFox 16:18 13 Jul 05

Before getting a new scanner ( I would be surprised if any usb2 scanner was not xp compatible)how is the scanner connected to the pc?

If with a hub try plugging directly into usb sockets on motherboard.

woodchip 16:30 13 Jul 05

Go into Device Manager by Right Click on My Computer\Properties\Hardware\Device Manager expand USB starting from bottom click on one usb at a time and the from menu click uninstall remove all USB then restart computer and try again to install

Stuartli 17:28 13 Jul 05

Have you been on the Canon website and looked through the FAQ for your particular model?

polonius 16:23 14 Jul 05

Thanks to the 3 of you for suggestions. The USB plugs directly into PC. I uninstalled the Canon scanner (which, of course, is explicitly OK for XP!) and re-installed. It is working OK now, the only difference is that I plugged the machine into a different powerplug (3-pin, mains) instead of the multi-point adaptor I used before. Fingers crossed! (I didn't want to risk uninstalling the USBs from Device Manager.) GHJ.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…