Windows XP recovery CD...or lack of

lucky1 15:05 07 Sep 03

Don't laugh but I've just bought a new PC from PC World ! It's a Compaq Presario S3190UK. On getting it home I noticed that there was no Windows XP Recovery CD. On contacting Computer World they informed me that there was not one with this sytem and that I shouldn't worry as there was an 'emergency partition on the hard drive which I could access to get me out of bother' !!

I am a novice with PCs, can anyone advise me if what I have been told is correct and, if possible, where I might get a recovery CD ?

Many thanks.

clayton 15:44 07 Sep 03

looking @ this site is say you have a Recovery CD creation tool

click here

oh & laugh no i might cry

Forum Editor 15:49 07 Sep 03

There will be a separate partition on the hard drive containing the full Windows XP file set. The operating system will automatically go to this location whenever it needs any files - drivers for instance - and will work with the partition in the same way that it would work with the CD if you had one.

The only scenario in which you would be in real trouble is if the hard drive was to fail completely - then you would have no access to the partition. For this reason, Microsoft accept that you might want to make a backup of the files, so you could reinstall on a new drive if it was ever necessary.

It's worth pointing out that your computer is running on what's called an OEM copy of Windows XP, which is only licenced for use on that particular machine. You are not licenced to install it on another computer - when that machine dies, your licence dies with it.

TommyRed 16:08 07 Sep 03

Bearing what the FE said, would it be worth taking an image of the drive now with Acronis True Image 6.0, Norton Ghost or Drive Image. I don't have any discs with my PC, got it used, and have taken various images of the HDD which will replace your system including XP, should the worst happen. This is if you've got a cd-rw, of course. TR

dagbladet 16:11 07 Sep 03

Lucky 1
Welcome to the club. I too bought a machine recently from the conveniantly located computer superstore. Prepare for every computer bore to drone on about how it would have been sooooo much cheaper to, get it off the net/go to geeky Desmonds corner shop/build your own etc, etc.
As you have been correctly informed above, your compaq, like my Pac Bell does have a recovery craetion area in a separate area. When i burnt my reovery thingy onto disc, the disc area freed up became a separate 2 Gig hard-drive, which rather took me by surprise, but what the heck. Enjoy your new machine. I too am a novice, but with the help of these help boards and the comfort blanket of the XP system recovery tool, what can possibly go wronk, I mean wronk,kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk, bloody keyboard

lamachan 16:16 07 Sep 03

Am interested in the threads referring to backing up the OEM version of XP Just what files need to be backed up? I do have a recovery disc but believe in belt and braces.

lucky1 16:22 07 Sep 03

Thanks for all your help and advice folks. I think I'll take Tommyred's advice and take an image of the drive. Sounds like I really know what I'm talking about !!!! Will this act in place of a recovery CD should I ever need one? What I can't get my head (or heid as we say in Scotland)round is how you get into this so called 'emergency partition' if the need arises ? Apologies for being a bit of a thicko !

TommyRed 18:59 07 Sep 03

It will replace your system to exactly as it was when you took the image, I took my first one just after I re-formatted , so if I ever have/want to re-format again I'll just use that disc. BTW I use Acronis True Image 6.0 which after much research I deemed to be the best. I'm not a very techie type of person, and had to mail their support a few times until I got the hang of it, they mailed back from the US in less than 24 hours. Think I got mine from Amazon for £37.something plus delivery, might find a better deal if you shop around. HTH, TR.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…