Windows Xp recovering from a serious error

totty102 14:58 24 May 04

I have a Tiny PC running Win XP Home with 2.70ghz intel processor and 512mb of RAM its been a beauty to have until recently when every now and again it will restart without any warning. When the pc has booted up it comes up with a message saying "Windows has recovered from a serious error."
The details it gives are as follows:
ERROR SIGNATURE
BCCode: 44 BCP1: 8189FBC8 BCP2: 00000D60 BCP3: 00000000 BCP4: 00000000 OSver: 5_1_2600
SP: 1_0 Product: 768_1

It then gives more details of files that have been involved:
C:\Windows\minidump\mini052404-02.dmp
C:\DOCUMEN~1\CHARLO~1\LOCALS~1\TEMP\WER1.tmp.dir00\sysdata.xml

As a novice this means pretty much nothing to me. I am aware of the virus that causes PC's to reboot and have scanned for viruses, critical updates etc etc.
Before this happened I had been using Bazooka spyware scanner and removing spyware manually however I followed instructions properly and correctly.

Can anyone help please?

HondaMan 15:30 24 May 04

Log onto the Microsoft site and navigate to their knowledge base. Input the text in the message, just the bit about "Windows has recovered from a serious error". This will take you to a patch to stop this happening. Apparently Windows writes a mini-dump file and because this is where the error occurs, it keeps thinking it has not sent the file, or something like that.

Good luck

totty102 15:54 24 May 04

Thanks for the advice. Looked on Microsoft KNowledge Base and found the relevant patch but it wont install as I have Service Pack 1 and it says it isnt compatible. I am now going to research on the knowledge base!!

totty102 14:57 25 May 04

I couldnt find anything of great help on Microsoft site so I did a system restore to a previous point before I did the tweaking etc. Everything was ok until.....
In middle of doing dissertation and again, the screen goes blank and I am now booting up again!
Please help me - I know you guys can fix anything! The same message came up after rebooting which I posted above.

PSF 15:05 25 May 04

Were you using Word at the time? You could try to repair Word in case there is a corrupt file causing it to lock up. In Word click Help>> detect and repair.

VoG II 17:15 25 May 04

Some things to try click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…