windows xp rebooting help please

dazzling 17:10 10 Jun 04

today i went to reinstall xp pro on my friends pc as hes been having trouble.thought it was the harddrive xp would not format disk said it was damaged.fdisk reported bad sectors so i changed it loaded xp on the new disk seemed ok put windows security update cd on no problems.now it has started to rebboot constantly gets to welcome screen then reboots.it does this five or six times then boots into windows its stable while in windows.it was also doing this previous to new harddrive but windows wasnt stable then either.anyone any ideas athlon xp 1600 ecs mobo maxtor harddrive.p.s. i dont think its over heating bios tempratures normal doesnt appear to be any pattern to it. power supply? cheers darren

norman47 18:01 10 Jun 04

Yes do disable auto restart as crx1600 points out.

You could also try it with the minimum of peripherals. Take everything out except the hard drive, 1 stick of memory, graphics card if it has one and you had better leave in the cpu hs+f. lol

This could tell you if it is a power issue.

Have you tried the sides off with a fan blowing on the motherboard?

norman47 19:42 10 Jun 04

any luck?

^^^^^^^^^^^^

dazzling 08:30 11 Jun 04

thanks guys it turns out he reset bios settigs to optimal the board has a sound chip but he also has a pine audio card ive disabled onboard sound and thats sorted the rebooting. cheers darren

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…