Windows XP rebooting

Steppenwolf 08:30 26 Sep 03

I've bought a new machine from a small supplier which has a P4 2.66 processor, 512 Mb RAM and NVidia GeForce 4 and Soundblaster Audigy 2 cards. The machine constantly reboots without warning and now will not even start up Windows (XP Home) stopping on a warning screen saying 'no_more_IRP_Stack_locations' before dumping memory to disk. Its been back to the supplier once who says they changed the memory and video card and could find no problems. Is this a problem with Windows XP? Would upgarding to Windows 2000 help? I've tried loading latest drivers for the cards.

mark500 08:58 26 Sep 03

With this code, if you've added a new virus scanner or someone has accessed a shared volume over the network for the first time on the machine, the Server device driver can be at fault. The Server device driver constructs I/O request packets with a slot for every device driver on the path to the disk. Sometimes the number of I/O request packets the Server device driver allocates is insufficient, resulting in this Stop Code. Try increasing the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\ServicesLanmanServer\IrpStackSize setting to a number higher than 4 (or whatever it's set to) and see whether the problem goes away.

Steppenwolf 12:27 26 Sep 03

Thanks Mark - but this machine is not networked (apart from internet dial-up) and so far I have not installed any virus software. However, if I can get it to start up in safe mode I can try this update - is there a Dos command to update this parameter?

MjM Hellfire 14:06 26 Sep 03

I would just re-install XP if you have nothing to lose and a little time on your hands. More often than not, when problems arise, it's somtimes worth just re-formatting the whole disc and starting from scratch, rather than spending days looking for a solution.

I would run a virus scan via DOS, just incase, using STINGER.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…